All around the world, libraries, museums, galleries and archives are collecting, preserving and sharing vast amounts of material online. These resources are continually increasing, as more and more material is digitised and published online.
These online resources include:
- records about people, companies and organisations
- books on every imaginable topic
- newspapers, magazines and other publications, from academic journals to theatre programmes
- maps, blueprints and plans
- paintings, drawings and sculptures
- unpublished documents, letters, diaries and family papers
- films and videos
- music, oral histories and audio recordings
- government and company reports, laws, licences and records
- objects of all sorts, from fossils to biscuit jars, airplanes to hats
- just about anything you can think of!
Sometimes, however, you might have to find the original document. The easiest way to search for free Australian material, whether digitised or not, is through Trove.
What is Trove?
Trove is a collaboration between Australia's National Library and its state and territory libraries, and is dedicated to storing and protecting the nation's knowledge.
The site is the home of content drawn from libraries, museums, archives and other repositories across the country. You can read historic newspapers or Government Gazettes – or type in keywords and browse articles, books, archival material or maps relating to your topic.
If what you want is online, you can click straight through from Trove. If it's not online, Trove will tell you which library or collection owns what you're after.
Go to Trove and search for Blackburn Lake. What different types of resources do you see?
Now click on the first result under the books category.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Can you see which library holds this book?
Watch the video below to learn more about how to use Trove:
Things to remember
- More and more material is being digitised
- If you're looking for Australian content, search on Trove
We'll now look more closely at using library eresources.